Saturday, January 15, 2011

"well, that was some pretty fresh dirt."

So crazy we left Reno a little over a week ago! On one hand, it seems like time here has gone by slow; on the other hand, time seems to have flown by.

Over all, this week has been... challenging, but good for the most part. Yesterday I hit a bit of a wall (not literally) and was just totally checked out and not wanting to be here. But thanks to the Lord working in my heart, today was filled with joy and... awesomeness. =)

My photography class is going well. And I am very thankful for Rebecca's assistance with the kids and interpreter. =) Her attitude and confidence has been a great help to me (probably more so than she realizes). My students' names are Catherine, Charity, Nasiri, Stella, Miria, and Sylivia. I've taught them about a few different types of photography: portrait, documentary, nature/wild life, and still life. And today, I taught them about taking pictures from different points of view, which has been probably my favorite day so far with them. They've become more and more comfortable taking pictures as the week moves on. I truly hope they will have taken something good away from this class.

I by no means feel cut out to be a teacher, let alone, a teacher of photography to deaf teens. It has been a great challenge to keep in mind that the main point of my being here is to invest in and love these kids we're teaching and playing with. It's been hard to not stress because I don't have the perfect lesson planned or I don't feel like I'm teaching well. The point is not me. The point is not to show my awesomeness. The point is to be emptied of self, filled with love, and poured out so these kids will know they are not worthless and they do have purpose.

*sigh* good stuff. =) Anyway, tomorrow (Sunday) is our day off... going to church and doing some shopping. Then Monday is our last day with the kids. I feel it will be hard to say goodbye.

Alright, so on a less serious note, today we crammed 23 people (only two of which were children) into a 15 passenger van. It was a good time for sure. haha.... oh man.

Also, today when we were out for dinner, this man came up to us and started talking to us. I think he over heard us talking about the safari we're going on, so... yeah. Anywho, the last thing he was telling us was that hippos are pretty much the deadliest animal and to stay away from them. And previously, we found out that there will be LOTS of hippos while we're on safari. Neato.

And then on the way home from dinner, we were walking along the road and watching out for cow poop. We passed by some and weren't sure weather or not it actually was cow poop. So Gay chimes in... "well, that was some pretty fresh dirt."

Okay so maybe you had to be there for it to be funny. But... yeah. It was funny.

=)

The food is good here. Our hotel is pretty nice. And the bugs.... not to bad so far.

All is well here in Jinja. And I hope all is well on the other side of the world, as well.

I miss home and will be quite ready to go back to normal life after this. But for now, I am enjoying this crazy adventure!

Love you all.

-Jessie Marie


ps - I think I've just written enough for both Matt and Lynn.... *slacker bloggers, cough cough*

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jess,

    I'm so proud of you for stepping out in faith (and out of fear) and taking on such a crazy adventure. After I read you blog the verse that came to me was Psalm 46:10. Be still and know that I am God. I know you and I'm sure your mind is processing a million things at once. So just be still in the Lord and take in his awesomeness. As for the HIPPOS turn them ALL over to God. He will protect you. Plan B-Rebecca promised to be your human shield :) We love and miss you very much.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie,
    How proud we are of you! We just got the link to this blog from your dad a couple of days ago so we have been reading all the previous posts of your team. I am so glad that you got a chance to see the sights in Dubai. It's not a place most people get to go to; great that you got to see it. I am sure it was a great contrast to Uganda. I am so glad you are going to go on safari before you come home as well. I'm sure that will be quite a thrill, but I am sure the experience of being with the kids and people of Uganda will be the pinnacle of your experience there. Isn't it amazing? I can hardly wait to hear all about it when you come home. Sorry you got sick, but I know, despite everything, you will be SO glad you did this. Blessings on you, your team, and your work there. Love, Aunt Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan and I think you should ride the hippo. No better way to conquer your fears than to ride them. Nathan says "ride that hippo!" (in some sort of southern accent)

    Praying for you sister. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a few days behind on the blog but have still been praying for you daily!! Glad to hear how things are going from your perspective. Still can't wait for you to get home and hear about it in person!! I love you lots Jessie Marie!!!

    ReplyDelete