Sunday, January 16, 2011

Be like Gumby

Today it accured to me that our time here is almost over, we are half way through our trip. As joyful as I am to see my family I recognize that I very much enjoy being here. I think of Lori often as she is a FOM staff member and is living here full time. The foot work that is involved, relationships with the people and organizations is vital to the success of Founts goal. And regardless of how many times I've heard the stories from the women of Fount, until you are here you will never understand why they do what they do and say what they say. You can only be so prepared, the rest is the land of the unknown. When they say be flexible they truly mean FLEXIBLE!!

Before we even left San Rafael I already wanted to make this journey again. As of this moment I would still want to do it again. Considering the pre trip meetings we have had and all the extra conversations Rebecca and I have had regarding our trip I felt as though I was as prepared as I could be and had a general idea of what to expect.....WRONG! Things rarely go as planned which would normally be very difficult for me. It is still a great success but the plans may have changed several times. The kids seem to love to being with us no matter what we are doing. We usually start with stretching and move to relays or kick ball and either way they enjoy it. I can't say I have made one special friend...maybe I won't. Each day I find myself drawing closer to a different child, they truly are all special to me, I'd like to think I have a friendship with all of them.
It is hard for me to understand how a parent could feel that their child is useless because they can not hear or see. But here if they can not work they have no purpose. Often times the parents don't learn any sign language to communicate with their own children, that is just crazy to me. I in no way feel like I can change the way Uganda treats children with disabilities, HOWEVER I can be a piece of the pie. Spending time with these kids and teaching them not just skills but how to think or have a choice of what beads to string together brings an overwhelming joy for me. Something that is so simple can go so far.

How soon before I return?

Lynn Bailey

1 comment: