Thursday, January 27, 2011

Can I get some more hot water please?

I’ve discovered I can take a longer, hotter shower in Jinja than I can in my apartment in Reno.  What gives? =)
It’s good to be home.  It’s nice to see friends and get back into a routine.  Those of you who know me well, know that I am in love with routines and to-do lists.  Which makes Africa an adventure, as there is no concept of time and no point in having a to-do list.  =) But… oh how I love not needing a schedule, a watch, a plan in Africa!  It’s freeing to just live life.  To slow down and enjoy every moment, not needing to rush off to a meeting, a coffee date, a church event.  There is something simply beautiful about taking a deep breath and truly living in a moment.  This is easy in Africa.  It’s easy for me to check-in, engage, and experience.  
Can I go back now? =)
I love my job with Fount of Mercy and I love the work we’re doing in Uganda.  I secretly wish I could go back every 6 months… but my schedule, routine, and to-do lists won’t allow it.  So alas, I will continue to return to the lovely country of Uganda every 2 years for 2 weeks.  And I am thankful for that.
Since returning to the states I’ve been asked, “ What was your favorite part of being in Uganda?”  I’ve been asked, “Will you return?”  I’ve been asked, “How has this trip impacted your role with Fount of Mercy.  I’ve been asked, “Are you changed?”
So many questions to answer… I love it.  I love that people have a desire to know, even if for a moment.  I love having the opportunity to share.  After my first trip in 2008, I knew I could not stop sharing.  I knew I could not deny the responsibility I now felt to do something.  I knew that I would return.  The same is true after this trip.  I love these people; I love what they teach me.  I love that they challenge my perspective, my theology, my passions.  I love that they live life to the fullest, having little of what we experience here.  They remind me of truth, of grace, of passion.  And… I am changed because of their impact in my life.
So… 2013… I’m anticipating greatness. =)
~Rebecca Brown
I'll post a few pictures tonight! =)

4 comments:

  1. I just might have to think about signing up for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your willingness and enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the hotter showers in Africa than at home! sheesh.

    I look forward to the next time just the two of us can hang out =)

    ps - I miss being your roomie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2013 seems so far off, but it's really not. Continually impressed.

    ReplyDelete