Friday, December 31, 2010

WHAT IF I GET EATEN BY A HIPPO?!?!

Okay, okay... so I've started freaking out a little bit about the trip. However, a hippo eating me could definitely happen when we're on safari. Just sayin. But Rebecca has agreed to let me use her as a human shield, so I'm thinking I will be alright. =)

But on a more serious note, nervousness and anticipation and flat out fear has really begun to stir within me. At times, I've broken down crying, being so terrified at the enormity of this adventure we're about to set out on. I've never been so far way before, and there are so many unknowns, so many risks... I mean, am I completely crazy for going on this trip?! What if the plane crashes? What if I forget to bring something super important? What if I'm weirded out by the people in Uganda? What if I freak out and shut down when I'm there? What if I'm apathetic? What if I don't do a good job of teaching the kids? What if I get sick... and die?

There are a million what if's constantly running through my head. But in response to every "what if" I think up, God stills me and reminds me that He's bigger than the what if's. Any crazy, horrific, embarrassing, or terrifying situation I could imagine... He is bigger.


Deep breaths, Jessie. Deep breaths.


I know incredible things will happen during this trip for Team Amina and for everyone else who will be in Uganda while we're there. I know it will require of me a deeper faith and trust than I've ever had before. I know I'm going to see, feel, and do things I've never seen, felt, or done before. I will be challenged and changed. And I will be stretched and strengthened.

One more week till we leave.

I'm scared out of my mind.

Extremely excited.

Mostly ready... ish. =)

And really just blown away by this amazing opportunity I've been given.


How this journey will affect all of our lives, I don't yet know. But I am confident we will come back having a new perspective on life, in some way or another. And that our hearts will be moved in ways that will stay with us forever.


- Jessie Stipech

2 comments:

  1. Jessie, I know we don't know each other, but I am so inspired by what you and Rebecca and Matt and the rest of team are doing. You're in good hands with Rebecca. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo excited for you, Jessie!!! I would be scared, too!! But I love that God reminds us in those frightened moments that He is bigger than all the what-ifs!! I am praying for you and I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete